Marian Council #3779 of the Knights of Columbus came into being by the distinction of being the 100th Council to be formed during the 100th Anniversary of the Dogma of the Immaculate Conception. Thus, it was providentially named in honor of this great event in the Catholic Church.
The Council Charter was issued on February 28, 1954. The Council began within that year with 42 men and by the next year membership grew to 75 members. In 1955 Marian Council received it’s first plaque for it’s efforts towards the Youth Expansion Program (Y.E.P.) from the State office of the Knights of Columbus located in Lafayette, Louisiana and during the same time frame was rewarded the Star Council Award from Supreme Council located in New Haven, CT.
In April 1959 the City Council Planning Commission passed on the property located at 5853 Buncombe Road so that Marian Council members could acquire the location as plans were to build a future hall for the members. But over the next few years the membership started to decline and the idea of building on the property lost interest with the members. It was not until 1965 when Marian Council was gradually awakening from the doldrums of the past years. It was at that time members carried the loan on the property in order to keep the dream of having a council hall stay alive.
Members were involved in many fundraisers ranging from dances to boat raffles. Even a duck blind was built by one of it’s members to be raffled off. There were a lot of small fundraisers but in November 1978 there was enough money in the council treasury to rent the meeting room at the Holiday Inn located on the corner of Monkhouse and Greenwood Road in order for the council to establish a Tuesday night Bingo. The Bingo was successful and the attendance quickly out grew the meeting room. On May 1, 1979 it was agreed that the council would rent the former A&P Food Store building located at 2724 Greenwood Road and the Bingo was moved to that new location. By June 1979 the Bingo was a successful fundraiser for the council.
During March of 1980 the former A&P Food Store building was put up for sale and the council agreed to buy the property. Because the council did not have all the money necessary for the down payment, once again some of the members agreed to carry the note. On April 3, 1980 closing of the building took place and the council found a home.
By July of 1980 the council was doing so well with the Bingo that it became known for the generosity towards area churches, priest, seminarians, Holy Angles, Frost Industries, youth programs and various other organization that needed help. It became known as the council with the big heart. On May 24, 1986 a note burning party was held officially ending the indebtedness of the property.
During 1993, as casinos were built in Shreveport and Bossier City, interest in Bingo decline. It was at that time that the members decided to sell the building on Greenwood Road and begin construction on the property located at 5853 Buncombe Road. In 1995 the new hall was completed and our council moved into a brand new building. The building rest on three acres of cleared property located between Pines Road and West 70th. It is a multi-purpose building that is used for meetings, socials, retreats, family reunions, wedding showers, and various events. The building is available for rent to the community.
For many years our members have participated in Knights of Columbus State tournaments and many trophies have been awarded to the Council. Among our religious activities we participated in Religious contest, pro-life endeavors, quarterly Communion and various church events. Our members have been involved in softball, basketball, horseshoes, bowling, golf, disc golf, cook-offs and various forms of competition. The council has been awarded the Louisiana State Deputy award numerous times. For a period of four consecutive years the council received the State Deputy Award, competing against some 300 councils in the state. The council has a history of placing within the top ten in the state.
All of this was accomplished through the hard work of our Council officers and members. Today Marian Council continues its acts of Charity. Our present enrollment is at 177. The Knights of Columbus is the largest Catholic, Family, Fraternal, Service Organization in the world. There are some 15,342 councils with some 1.9 million members throughout the world.
We draw our membership from local churches through-out Shreveport and Keithville; St. Mary of the Pines, Sacred Heart of Jesus, Holy Trinity, St. John Berchmans, St. Joseph and St. Anns Catholic Church in Keithville. The age of our members range from as young as 18 to as old as 80 plus.